Frequently asked questions
HTTPS (SSL/TLS) enables encrypted connections between the webserver and the web browser. Among other things, HTTPS is used for secure transfer of credit card details on the net. If you want to offer online payment on your web pages, you should enable HTTPS.
HTTPS is not supported for www forwarding to other websites, even if they are hosted by us.
You can use HTTPS with us in the following way for webhotel medium and greater:
We do not have automated support for Let's Encrypt certificates, they are handled precisely the same way as any other certificates. Let's Encrypt certificates are valid for a maximum of 3 months. This means more manual work, both for you as a customer, and for us. We therefore cannot currently recommend Let's Encrypt with our services. See below for our recommendations.
1. At https://www-example-com.secure.domeneshop.no/
This is the easiest and quickest way to enable HTTPS for your webhotel, and is well suited for e.g. Facebook apps.
If your domainname is
www.example.com, the URL will be as in the headline,
This solution is free of charge for webhotel medium and greater, since you do not need a separate certificate for HTTPS, often called SSL certificate. Contact us if you want to set this up.
2. Directly at https://www.example.com/
If you want HTTPS with your webhotel's domain name (
https://www.example.com/), contact us first. This requires a separate certificate, which you need to acquire from a certificate authority (CA), and that one of our technicians manually configure HTTPS. Please note that this may take several days.
- The domain must have web hotel Medium or larger. We do not charge any additional fees.
- Let us know if you want your certificate to be valid for something other than
www.+your domain name.
- Also send us the following information for use with the certificate, and specify if they differ from the domain holder's info:
- Company name (website owner)
- Locality/city and country
- E-mail address
- Please note that some CAs will refuse to provide a certificate when the above mentioned company name is different from the domain holder's name.
- We'll create a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) for you.
- You then send the CSR to a certificate authority (CA), and make sure to note that the server type is Apache/mod_ssl. When ordering, most vendors will let you specify whether your certificate will work both with and without "www". We recommend certificates from either of these depending on your needs and finances:
- The certificate authority will send you a so-called CA bundle and a certificate, usually in the form of a zip file, e.g.
www_mittnavn_no.zip, or in separate files, all of which must be in the PEM format. Send these files to us.
- Please do not send us the certificate as pasted or forwarded text.
- We will check the certificate, install it on our server, and let you know when it's ready.
- Your webhotel is now manually configured, and you must not change the primary address, DNS, or www forwarding setup for the webhotel without checking with customer support.
Remember to renew your certificate before it expires, and send the new certificate file to us. You may reuse the CSR you originally received from us.